Monday, July 16, 2012

Terraria - Minecraft in two dimensions?

I've known about Terraria for many months now. I first saw it in some gameplay videos from TobyGames. And I have to admit - I wasn't impressed at all. It seemed like a cheap 2D clone of Minecraft and I couldn't understand why it was so popular.

The core gameplay is very similar to Minecraft's. You gather resources, build stuff and survive in a more or less cruel world. It's not just that, but I'm only talking about core gameplay at the moment and nothing more. So, at the base, these games are not too different when it comes to gameplay. At the graphics level, well - Minecraft is a first person 3D game, while Terraria is a platformer.

So is Terraria a Minecraft clone in two dimensions? Well... yes and no. It sure seems to have been inspired by Minecraft. In fact, there's no doubt about it in my opinion. But in the end there's so much more to it. Where in lacks in the number of dimensions, it adds value in visual effects. Where it lacks in core gameplay originality, it adds value in original features.



Terraria is a great indie game that really is worth buying. So go ahead and visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment